Saturday, October 10, 2009

Who am I 1

I am on a Quest
Something done so many times
A Beaten Path
Written many times over
Religion lives on it
Feeds on it
Prayers made for it
Fanatics kill for it
And Gods try to hide it

Yet I am on this Quest
To know who I am
Why am I here
What am I doing
Who is this God
Where from does He come
What is this substratum

I had decided to follow the path shown by the Upanishads
Philosophical portions of the Vedas
A culture, a religion widely known as Hinduism
Today Hinduism is plagues only by the term Caste
People dont seem to understand that the caste has been there for ages and shall still remain

There are only four categories of people
Ones who research, ones who rule, ones who do business and ones who work for the other three

We still are continuing the same thing
Only that the culture decided to make it by birth as it was easier for education
But this system of highs and lows came up later
And as usual thats due to human greed and nothing else

The Vedas do not mention anywhere that the brains are better than the hands
Infact all these sections are said to have originated from the various parts of the single whole

Anyway, thats not my concern as there are enough people to argue about these
And they wouldnt be satisfied even in their graves

This discussion regarding caste and Hinduism do not go together as social norms are always subject to change.
So let me shoot straight to where I am getting at.

Who am I?
I cannot be this body! I am convinced regarding this aspect
I can be without my leg if it has to be amputated
Hands even, why there are some people without both

Not the eyes, not the nose, not the ears
There are still more people without these even

So who am I
I am a reflection of something greater than what is
I do not know what it is though
Something luminous
Something self sufficient
Something Real
Something that is beyond the sense of logic
Something that cannot be inferred

I am real
I do not need someone to tell me I am awake
I am conscious

There seems to be an integral element that transmits this consciousness into the body
I do not know what it is
I am ignorant about this

This seeming ignorance is what is capitalized by the Upanishads
Because there is this difference between who I am and this consciousness
There is a problem of identification
Am I this consciousness or am I everything but the consciousness

Let me go deeper
If I am convinced that I am not the body
What about the mind and intellect
I was alive before I knew a b c d
I was ignorance before a b c d
I was existent then
I am existent now
I have been existing before I knew what anger was
I am existent now even though I know that anger is useless

What is this ignorance
I am not satisfied with this 'knowledge'
I need more
I need to shake away these disturbance and be in the Real